Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart has announced the passing of Professor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche at age 76. Matthias Müller, President and Chief Executive Officer of Porsche AG, paid tribute to Ferdinand Alexander Porsche’s services to the sports car manufacturer: “We mourn the death of our partner, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche. As the creator of the Porsche 911, he established a design culture in our company that has shaped our sports cars to this very day. His philosophy of good design is a legacy to us that we will honour for all time.”
Well known by his nickname “Butzi”, he was born in Stuttgart on 11 December 1935, the oldest son of Dorothea and Ferry Porsche. Even his childhood was shaped by cars, and he spent much of his time in the engineering offices and development workshops of his grandfather Ferdinand Porsche. In 1943 the family accompanied the Porsche company move to Austria, where he went to school in Zell am See. After returning to Stuttgart in 1950, he attended the private Waldorf school. After leaving school, he enrolled at the prestigious Ulm School of Design.
In 1958, F.A. Porsche, as he was known by his colleagues, joined the engineering office of what was then Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG.
Ferdinand Alexander (right) with his father Ferry Porsche examining
the rear of a Porsche Type 356 A Carrera Hardtop (1958)
He soon proved his talent for design by sculpting the first model of a successor to the Type 356 out of plasticine. In 1962 he took over as head of the Porsche design studio, creating a worldwide furore a year later with the introduction of the Porsche 901 (or 911).
With Type 901 (T8) in 1963
Model of 1968 Type 911S Targa
With the Porsche 911, F.A. Porsche created a sports car icon whose timeless and classical form survives to this day in what is now the seventh 911 generation. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. In addition to passenger cars, F.A. Porsche also concerned himself with designing the sports cars of the 1960s. His best-known designs include the Type 804 Formula One racing car and the Porsche 904 Carrera GTS, now considered to be one of the most beautiful racing cars ever.
Working on the Type 904 in the Porsche design office (1963)
In the course of the conversion of Porsche KG into a joint-stock corporation in 1971/72, Ferdinand Alexander, along with all the other family members, stood down from the company’s front-line business operations. In 1972 he founded the “Porsche Design Studio” in Stuttgart, the head office of which was relocated to Zell am See in Austria in 1974. In the decades that followed, he designed numerous classic accessories such as watches, spectacles and writing implements that achieved global recognition under the “Porsche Design” brand. In parallel, with his team, he designed a plethora of industrial products, household appliances and consumer durables for internationally renowned clients under the brand “Design by F.A. Porsche”.
A strong and clear design concept typifies all product designs created in his design studio to date. The credo of his design work was: “Design must be functional and functionality has to be translated visually into aesthetics, without gags that have to be explained first.” F.A. Porsche: “A coherently designed product requires no adornment; it should be enhanced by its form alone.” The design’s appearance should be readily comprehensible and not detract from the product and its function. His conviction was: “Good design should be honest.”
Ferdinand Alexander Porsche received numerous honours and awards both for his work as a designer as well as for individual designs. In 1968 the “Comité Internationale de Promotion et de Prestige” honored him for the outstanding aesthetic design of the Porsche 911 while the Industrial Forum Design Hannover (iF) voted him “Prizewinner of the Year” in 1992. In 1999, the President of Austria bestowed on him the title of Professor.
Ferdinand Alexander retained a lifelong association with Porsche AG as a partner and member of the Supervisory Board. Even after stepping down from front-line business operations, he contributed to the design of Porsche’s sports cars over many decades and repeatedly steered the company in the right direction. This was especially the case for the difficult period Porsche experienced at the beginning of the 1990s. From 1990 to 1993, F.A. Porsche served as President of the company’s Supervisory Board, playing a major role in Porsche A.G’s economic turnaround.
In 2005, he stood down from his Supervisory Board role in favour of his son Oliver and assumed the mantle of Honorary President of the Supervisory Board.
Ferdinand Alexander Porsche will be buried in the family grave at Schüttgut in Zell am See, attended by his immediate family. An official funeral service will be held in Stuttgart at a later date.
All photographs copyright © Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG